Thursday, September 29, 2016

Pirates and Passions

We’ve just begun reading the Magic Tree House Series and went to the library yesterday to pick up the 4th book, Pirates Past Noon. While we were there we came across a wonderful box of pirate books, complete with little pirate puppets to take out on loan. My son was so excited he could hardly wait to get home.
As we were leaving the library he asked if we’d be able to keep these little pirates forever. He was so disappointed when I reminded him we would have to return them eventually. But then I told him that we could try and make our own.
In the car ride home he was bursting with ideas. We decided we’d try to make our own puppets (with my limited sewing skills). He said he wanted to make a pirate ship as well. We discussed possibilities for how to go about this.
By the time we got home he was on a role about all the things he’d like to make and do. He said he wanted to make a whole pirate set up. We thought about what else we could do. He said he wanted to write a story about the pirates.
We started right away. He began drawing pictures in a book and I began transcribing the first story in what would become The Amazing Adventures of Captain Crowbeard.
After finishing the first vignette he told me there would be another 347 stories about Captain Crowbeard. Alongside these and the pirate puppets and ship set up, my son informed me there would also be an audio book, a video and a music CD.
Our trip the public library had inspired what was turning out to be a franchise operation. Who could have guessed that these little puppets would have such a profound impact on my son’s imagination? Well I certainly couldn’t have.
Moments like these serve to fortify my belief in my son’s ability to direct his own learning. Watching him seize opportunities for growth with such verve, enthusiasm and strength of purpose promptly dispels any doubts I have about what we’re up to and why.
Captain Crowbeard will probably be a longer-term project (see project based homeschooling here). My son will no doubt struggle with some aspects (constructing a pirate ship that matches what he has in his mind’s eye, for one) as will I (sewing pirate puppets of any caliber). But through these challenges we will have the opportunity to grow, to hone our research skills, expand our artistic and construction abilities, and work together to find solutions to any challenges that may arise. And honestly, I don’t know what more I could ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment